The purpose of our Blue Ridge Cabin Rentals Blog is to provide information on things to see, do and enjoy in the North Georgia Mountains, and Helen in particular. In over a year, we have barely scratched the surface in our posts on what visitors can expect when vacationing in our area, so stay tuned! You can follow us by email, or on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ for updates.
For this post, we are highlighting the most popular reasons why people from all over come to Helen and the surrounding areas for weekend getaways and vacations. These are not in any particular order, and some subjects have been covered more in depth in other posts. If you would like more information, just type a word in the search bar at the top of our Blog, (such as “tubing”) and it will show you any posts related to that word.
So here we go!
1. Enjoy the Scenery- driving through the mountains can be a pleasure at any time of year. The trees and foliage change colors and shapes as the seasons change, from the pastels of spring, deep colors of summer, to autumn’s final glory. Mountain ranges, overlooks, waterfalls, lakes, creeks, and of course, rivers run through the area making nearly every turn a photo opportunity. There are also many activities that get you out in nature, which leads us to….
2. Outdoor Activities- Helen, Georgia is next to Unicoi State Park and also the Chattahoochee National Forest. Hiking trails thread throughout the area, including the famous Appalachian Trail. Mountain Biking, Horseback Riding, Fishing, and Tubing down the river are just a few of the many activities available to visitors. Most recently, Zip-lining has been added with the expansion of Zip-N-Time in nearby Sautee-Nacocchee Village.
3. Events- The Annual Oktoberfest celebration is well-known throughout the South, and continues to be our most popular event. Set up to resemble a Bavarian Village, Helen, Georgia is in her element to entertain visitors when it comes to this type of month-long celebration. Other Bavarian festivals, such as Fasching and Bavarianfest, are held here at other times of the year, as well. Add to that a Balloon race, various car shows, motorcycle rallies, Winefest, parades, live music concerts…too many to mention here, but there is usually something going on! Each month, we post the following month’s events on our blog, so sign up to follow us or check back often.
4. Proximity- Helen, Georgia and the surrounding area is an affordable destination, uniquely situated at the foot of the Appalachians and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Travel time is roughly 1.5 to 2 hours from Atlanta, and it is one of the closest mountain destinations for those traveling from Florida. We also get travelers from surrounding states, such as North and South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee. We even have repeat guests from as far away as Michigan and Texas! Though not as large and sprawling as some tourist destinations (and we like it like that), Helen welcomes visitors year round.
5. Shopping- What would a vacation be without a little shopping? On Main Street in Helen, you’ll find plenty of unique shops with unusual items you may not find anywhere else. German and Dutch Imports, glassblowing, leather shops, wine or olive oil tasting, fudge shops, and of course, several places to buy t-shirts and other souvenirs. You can also head to nearby Nacoochee Village, Sautee Crossing, or even into Cleveland or Clarksville to expand your shopping opportunities! Odds are you won’t go home empty handed.
6. Dining- Meals are also an important part of any vacation. We have written two posts on the many culinary options available in Helen and the surrounding towns, so for more information you can check those out. Helen is known for German food, and there are several good restaurants to choose from in town. But there are also many other options from fast food, to steakhouses, to pizza joints. There’s even sushi to be found! Or you can stop by Betty’s Grocery and grab some picnic items, or have a cookout at your cabin. The choice is yours.
- 7. Entertainment- Helen is not exactly Vegas, but now there are more choices for entertainment than ever before. Especially on the weekends and during Oktoberfest, most restaurants and wineries have live music. There are a few bars, nightclubs, and restaurants with lounges that feature karaoke and/or DJ’s, too. Check out our post on this subject for more info, or call us at 706-878-1773
8. Base of Operations- Helen is centrally located in the North Georgia Mountains, so it is convenient to use as a “base of operations”, especially if traveling from a farther area. Many of our guests take day trips to the surrounding communities, or even Atlanta, to see the sights. Whitewater rafting, hiking the Appalachian Trail, going to Six Flags, or just taking a tour on the Georgia Wine Highway…then return to your cabin for a day of rest and relaxation before heading out again!
9. Romantic Getaways- Staying in a cabin in the mountains is a very popular romantic fantasy for a lot of people. Honeymoons, anniversaries, birthdays, or just couples wanting to reconnect can find the perfect cabin to suit their needs. They can venture out to town or stay inside by the fire (in winter). Make that fantasy come true, don’t wait!
10. Family get-togethers- Take the kids and reconnect as a family, enjoying all the mountains have to offer. Meet up at a cabin with friends and family that live in different areas that you don’t get to see as often as you’d like. Plan a family reunion, have a ladies’ weekend or a guy’s retreat. There are so many options for groups to have fun and make memories that will last a lifetime.
We have only presented the highlights here. If you would like more information on booking a cabin or finding out about activities and events, give us a call at 706-878-1773. We’d love to help plan your next Helen, Georgia vacation!